2014 Alumni Conference Information
We are pleased to announce that the 2014 Alumni Conference will be held at Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley, MA from June 28 to July 5. Those of you who have never attended a conference before have probably already heard it: Come! You’ll be welcomed! Well, it’s true, because you already belong here. Lots of recent grads have come in the last few years; reach out to someone you know who attended to check it out. Maybe recruit a buddy or two to share a ride (or teach a course or sit on a panel).
Following are our options and prices:
- FULL STAY: $785. Saturday, June 28 to Saturday morning, July 5. (Room, all meals and receptions, facilities, and events.)
- SHORT STAY: $513. Tuesday, July 1 to Saturday, July 5. Ditto.
- COMMUTERS: $487. Includes the reception and DANCE! -- facilities, lunches and dinners, as well, of course, of all classes, lectures, etc.
The first meal will be dinner on June 28 (full stay) or July 1 (short stay) and the final will be breakfast on July 5.
The SHORT-STAY CONFERENCE is the perfect option for alumni with limited time available. Activities include:
- Classes and lectures. Alumni design their own classes and lectures. So put on your thinking cap and consider this: what was the class you always wanted to take? What was the lecture you always wanted to hear? Perhaps you’ll be the one to deliver it…
- Panels and caucuses. The alumni community has some of the smartest folks around—and in panels and caucuses, a subset of the group or the whole community can come together to discuss specific craft topics or issues of interest to alums.
- Readings. Every evening, we meet to hear new work from alums.
- Annual alumni meeting. Help us chart our direction for the next year as we look for new ways to connect with each other, support Friends of Writers, and serve each other and the Warren Wilson community.
AND HEY, WHO CAN FORGET THE DANCE?
The FULL-STAY CONFERENCE is the whole enchilada. Simply put, you won't find a better way to spend your week this summer. In addition to everything we offer during the Short-Stay Conference, you’ll get the following:
- Workshops. Fiction, poetry, and mixed workshops can help you steer your work from good to great. With an emphasis on supporting the writer’s intention, alumni provide the feedback that many people have been missing since they left the program. (Note: short-stay participants organize their own workshops. The conference will set up a workshop for full-stay participants who choose that option.)
- Poetry manuscript review / fiction roundtable (FULL STAY ONLY). These are designed to look at longer manuscripts or collections, be they works in progress or nearing completion. You’ll be in touch with your group and share your work with one another by mid-May. Please remember that manuscript review and fiction roundtable require serious commitments and generous feedback on longer works.
- Opening night reception. Rekindle old friendships and kickstart new ones as we gear up for a week together on one of the most beautiful campuses in the country.
WE HAVE EIGHT SCHOLARSHIPS OF $500; CLICK ON THE LINK FOR “CONFERENCE INFORMATION PACKET” BELOW FOR DETAILS. APPLICATION DEADLINE:
CONFERENCE REGISTRATION DEADLINES:
The $250 Deposit option is available only in payment by check sent snail mail; online registration and electronic payment-in-full are available below
- APRIL 19 (postmark): Non-refundable deposit of $250 + 2 SASEs.
- MAY 3 (postmark): Non-refundable late registration deposit of $350 + 2 SASEs.
- MAY 17: Remaining balances due:
Full Stay: $785 (full payment), $535 (balance due after deposit)
Short Stay: $513 (full payment), $263 (balance due after deposit)
Commuters: $487 (full payment), $237 (balance due after deposit)
Early Arrival (June 27): $40
- May 31: Late balances (plus $100 late fee) payable by credit card only.
- JUNE 1: Deposit fee forfeited if balance unpaid by May 31.
If you are paying by check, please send, along with two SASEs, to:
123 Daniel Shays Hwy.
Belchertown MA 01007-9527
THESE ARE THE OPTIONS AND THESE ARE THE DEADLINES. SORRY, BUT LONGSTANDING POLICY DOES NOT ALLOW FOR SPECIAL REQUESTS.
“The Conference will surprise you. But the only way to know that is to come. Each year is different, and that's the beauty of the thing. A conference is not a residency without faculty and it's not a reunion. It's a small summer oasis filled with peers who will amaze and encourage you, with laughter, with as much or as little work as you'd like. But the very best part of the conferences is meeting Wallys who were in the program at different times over many years - creating a lovely confusion of dates and faces…So come. You'll be happy. You'll be surprised.” --Nancy Koerbel
“I die a little bit inside every year that I can't go. I think I've been to four or five of them. Each time it is a revelation, a tremendous gift of time to work and a community in which to celebrate that gift. It maintains the very best of the residencies at Warren Wilson and jettisons all the rest. It revitalizes and inspires every time. I can't remember a single moment at an alumni conference when I did not feel like the luckiest person on the planet.” --Michael Jarmer
To register by mail, download the Conference Information Packet.
Click here to download the registration form ONLY (available as a fillable PDF).
To register online, select the appropriate payment option below, then visit our online registration form.
Online Payments can be made at the bottom of the page at the following link: