2013 ALUMNI CONFERENCE INFORMATION
We are pleased to announce that the 2013 Alumni Conference will be held at St. Mary’s College in Moraga, California from Sunday July 28, to Saturday, August 3. Those of you who have never attended a conference before have probably already heard it: Come! You’ll be welcomed! Well, it’s true, because you already belong here. Lots of recent grads have come in the last few years; reach out to someone you know who attended to check it out. Maybe recruit a buddy or two to share a ride (or teach a course or sit on a panel).
Following are our options and prices:
- FULL STAY: $850. Sunday, July 28 to Saturday morning, August 3, 2013. (Room, all meals and receptions, facilities, and events.)
- SHORT STAY: $625. Wednesday, July 31 to Saturday, August 3. Ditto.
- COMMUTERS: $575. Includes the reception and DANCE! — facilities, lunches and dinners, as well, of course, of all classes, lectures, etc.
The first meal will be dinner on July 28 (full stay) or July 31 (short stay) and the final will be breakfast on August 3.
The SHORT-STAY CONFERENCE is the perfect option for alumni with limited time available. Activities include:
- Classes and lectures. Alumni design their own classes and lectures. So put on your thinking cap and consider this: what was the class you always wanted to take? What was the lecture you always wanted to hear? Perhaps you’ll be the one to deliver it…
- Panels and caucuses. The alumni community has some of the smartest folks around—and in panels and caucuses, a subset of the group or the whole community can come together to discuss specific craft topics or issues of interest to alums.
- Readings. Every evening, we meet to hear new work from alums.
- Annual alumni meeting. Help us chart our direction for the next year as we look for new ways to connect with each other, support Friends of Writers, and serve each other and the Warren Wilson community.
AND HEY, WHO CAN FORGET THE DANCE?
The FULL-STAY CONFERENCE is the whole enchilada. Simply put, you won’t find a better way to spend your week this summer. In addition to everything we offer during the Short-Stay Conference, you’ll get the following:
- Workshops. Fiction, poetry, and mixed workshops can help you steer your work from good to great. With an emphasis on supporting the writer’s intention, alumni provide the feedback that many people have been missing since they left the program. (Note: short-stay participants organize their own workshops. The conference will set up a workshop for full-stay participants who choose that option.)
- Poetry manuscript review / fiction roundtable (FULL STAY ONLY). These are designed to look at longer manuscripts or collections, be they works in progress or nearing completion. You’ll be in touch with your group and share your work with one another by late May. Please remember that manuscript review and fiction roundtable require serious commitments and generous feedback on longer works.
- Opening night reception. Rekindle old friendships and kickstart new ones as we gear up for a week together on one of the most beautiful campuses in the country.
CONFERENCE REGISTRATION DEADLINES:
- APRIL 30 (postmark or online payment date): Non-refundable deposit of $250 + 2 SASEs. (No SASEs required for online registrants.)
- MAY 14 (postmark or online payment date): Non-refundable late registration deposit of $350 + 2 SASEs. (No SASEs required for online registrants.)
- MAY 30: Remaining balances due:
Full Stay: $850 (full payment), $500 (balance due after deposit)
Short Stay: $625 (full payment), $275 (balance due after deposit)
Commuters: $575 (full payment), $225 (balance due after deposit)
- JUNE 10: Late balances (plus $100 late fee) payable by credit card only.
- JUNE 11: Deposit fee forfeited if balance unpaid by June 1 (postmark) or June 10 (credit card).
“The Conference will surprise you. But the only way to know that is to come.Each year is different, and that’s the beauty of the thing. A conference is not a residency without faculty and it’s not a reunion. It’s a small summer oasis filled with peers who will amaze and encourage you, with laughter, with as much or as little work as you’d like. But the very best part of the conferences is meeting Wallys who were in the program at different times over many years – creating a lovely confusion of dates and faces. At last summer’s conference the attendees raised $900 earmarked for scholarships for recent graduates. But there are opportunities for everyone. So come. You’ll be happy. You’ll be surprised.” –Nancy Koerbel
“I die a little bit inside every year that I can’t go. I think I’ve been to four or five of them. Each time it is a revelation, a tremendous gift of time to work and a community in which to celebrate that gift. It maintains the very best of the residencies at Warren Wilson and jettisons all the rest. It revitalizes and inspires every time. I can’t remember a single moment at an alumni conference when I did not feel like the luckiest person on the planet.” –Michael Jarmer
To register by mail, download the Conference Information Packet.
Click here to download the registration form ONLY (available as a fillable PDF).
To register online, select the appropriate payment option below, then visit our online registration form.
Online Payments can be made at the bottom of the page at the following link: