2015 ALUMNI CONFERENCE INFORMATION
We are pleased to announce that the 2015 Alumni Conference will be held for the very first time at Lewis and Clark College in Portland, Oregon from July 26th to August 1st. Those of you who have never attended a conference before have probably already heard it: Come! You’ll be welcomed! You’ll have the conference experience of a lifetime! It’s like a residency—but only the good parts—and the good parts are all new and improved! Lots of recent grads have come in the last few years! Please reach out to someone you know who attended to check it out. Maybe recruit a buddy or two to share a ride (or teach a course or sit on a panel).
Options and prices:
- FULL STAY: $750. Sunday, July 26 to Saturday, August 1. Single room, all meals, facilities, events.
- SHORT STAY: $525. Wednesday, July 29 to Saturday, August 1. Ditto.
- COMMUTERS: $475. Includes the reception (and DANCE!), facilities, lunches and dinners, as well, of course, of all classes, lectures, etc.
- EARLY ARRIVAL: $40. For those who need, you can arrange to arrive Saturday, July 25 and stay in the dorm (no dinner included). (If anyone needs to stay an additional evening, on Saturday, August 1, please contact Michael Jarmer for further information regarding on-site hotel rooms for the evening.)
The first meal will be dinner on July 26 (full stay) or July 29 (short stay) and the final meal will be breakfast on August 1 .
Full Stay and Short Stay participants will/can experience the following goodies:
- Classes and lectures. Alumni design their own classes and lectures. So put on your thinking cap and consider this: what was the class you always wanted to take or give? What was the lecture you always wanted to hear or give?
- Panels and caucuses. The alumni community has some of the smartest folks around—and in panels and caucuses, a subset of the group or the whole community can come together to discuss specific craft topics or issues of interest to alums.
- Readings. Every evening, we meet to hear new work from alums.
- Annual alumni meeting. Help us chart our direction for the next year as we look for new ways to connect with each other, support Friends of Writers, and serve each other and the Warren Wilson community.
- The Dance. HEY, WHO CAN FORGET THE DANCE?
The FULL-STAY CONFERENCE is the whole enchilada. Simply put, you won't find a better way to spend your week this summer. In addition to everything we offer during the Short-Stay Conference, you’ll have opportunities for the following:
- Workshops. Fiction, poetry, and mixed workshops can help you steer your work from good to great. With an emphasis on supporting the writer’s intention, alumni provide the feedback that many people have been missing since they left the program. (Note: short-stay participants organize their own workshops. The conference will set up a workshop for full-stay participants who choose that option.)
- Poetry manuscript review / fiction roundtable (FULL STAY ONLY). These are designed to look at longer manuscripts or collections, be they works in progress or nearing completion. You’ll be in touch with your group and share your work with one another by mid-May. Please remember that manuscript review and fiction roundtable require serious commitments and generous feedback on longer works.
- Opening night reception. Rekindle old friendships and kickstart new ones as we gear up for a week together on one of the most beautiful campuses in the country.
The SHORT-STAY CONFERENCE is the perfect option for alumni with limited time available.
We have SEVEN scholarships this year! Two full tuition scholarships, 5 for $500 each and 1 for $350 are available for the Full-Stay Option (Sunday July 26–Saturday August 1)
CLICK ON THE LINK FOR “CONFERENCE INFORMATION PACKET” BELOW FOR DETAILS.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: APRIL 25
CONFERENCE REGISTRATION DEADLINES:
NOTE: We will once again be offering online Registration and Payment options; however, online payment will entail a single payment in full. If you wish to register with an initial deposit and pay the balance at the registration deadline, please snail-mail your registration, deposit check, and two SASEs to Michael Jarmer.
- May 2: Final day to register with deposit. All registrations after this must pay in full at time of registration. Deposit of $250 + two SASEs.
- May 30: Registration closes and payment in full or balances due:
Full Stay: $750 (full payment), $500 (balance due after deposit)
Short Stay: $525 (full payment), $275 (balance due after deposit)
Commuters: $475 (full payment), $225 (balance due after deposit)
Early Arrival (July 25): $40
- June 13: Full payment or balance due plus $100 late fee accepted by credit card only.
- JUNE 15: May deposit fee forfeited if balance unpaid by June 13.
THESE ARE THE OPTIONS AND THESE ARE THE DEADLINES. SORRY, BUT LONGSTANDING POLICY DOES NOT ALLOW FOR SPECIAL REQUESTS.
If you are paying by check, please send, along with two SASEs, to:
3208 SE Concord Road
Milwaukie, OR 97267
“The Conference will surprise you. But the only way to know that is to come. Each year is different, and that's the beauty of the thing. A conference is not a residency without faculty and it's not a reunion. It's a small summer oasis filled with peers who will amaze and encourage you, with laughter, with as much or as little work as you'd like. But the very best part of the conferences is meeting Wallys who were in the program at different times over many years - creating a lovely confusion of dates and faces…So come. You'll be happy. You'll be surprised.” --Nancy Koerbel
“I die a little bit inside every year that I can't go. I think I've been to four or five of them. Each time it is a revelation, a tremendous gift of time to work and a community in which to celebrate that gift. It maintains the very best of the residencies at Warren Wilson and jettisons all the rest. It revitalizes and inspires every time. I can't remember a single moment at an alumni conference when I did not feel like the luckiest person on the planet.” --Michael Jarmer
*To register by mail, download the Conference Information Packet.
*Click here to download the registration form ONLY (available as a fillable PDF).
To register online, select the appropriate payment option below, then visit our online registration form.
Online Payments can be made via PayPal below: