Friends of Writers, in providing financial and creative support for students, alumni and faculty of the MFA Program for Writers at Warren Wilson College, aims to cultivate a diversity of voices in the ongoing generation of new and vital literary works.
- The Board will include 15-20 voting members.
- Board terms are defined as three-year, renewable, usually beginning and ending in August.
- Active, participating Board members will always be encouraged to renew their terms when they expire. Term limits, though, give members a chance to take a leave from the Board when circumstances and other commitments make such active participation difficult. Outgoing and former Board members are welcome to join the Board’s Advisory Panel(s).
- We are committed to strong Warren Wilson alumni and faculty presence on the Board.
- We are committed to 100% active participation by members. It is assumed that during a 3-year term, only exceptional circumstances will interfere with a Board member’s attendance at least 4 of the 6 standing meetings or with active involvement in at least one of its projects.
- The MFA Program Director holds an Ex Officio appointment; an individual who no longer holds that position is also eligible for a subsequent regular term.
- The Board may be complemented by an adjunct Advisory Panel or panels, whose members will bear neither fiscal responsibility nor voting privileges but whose skills, experience and active participation in Friends’ projects are crucial resources. Advisors would also be welcome at Board meetings although attendance is not expected. A term on the Board proper is not a requirement for invitation to serve as an Advisor.
- The Board shall establish any internal or adjunct committees necessary to the efficient discharge of its responsibilities.
- A 2/3 vote from the Board shall be required to dissolve Friends of Writers. Upon dissolution of Friends of Writers any assets remaining after payment of or provision for its debts and liabilities shall, consistent with the mission of Friends, be paid to a charitable organization with similar missions that are exempt under the provisions of section 501c 3of the IRS Code. Upon dissolution, no part of the net assets or net earnings of Friends of Writers shall inure to the benefit of or be paid or distributed to any Board Member of the organization.
|Joan Aleshire||1992-2010||Term converted to Founding Director|
|Catherine Barnett||2004-2010||Terms completed|
|Jasmine Beach-Ferrara||2006-2011||Terms completed|
|Shannon Cain||2006-2009||Term completed|
|Michael Collier||2000-2006||Terms completed|
|Judy French||2006-2009||Term completed|
|Melissa Hotchkiss||1999-2006||Terms completed|
|Jynne Martin||2007-2010||Term completed|
|Cammy Thomas||2005-2011||Terms completed|
|Peter Turchi*||2002-2008 and 2008-2011||Ex Officio, terms completed|
|C. Dale Young||2007-2010||Term completed|
|Elizabeth Gray, Jr.||2010-2013|
|Mary Jo Thompson||2012-2015|
|Debra Allbery, Ex Officio||2010-|
|Joan Aleshire, Founding Dir||2010-|